Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
The National Robotics Engineering Center (NREC) at Carnegie Mellon University is looking for a Senior Robotics Engineer with expertise in fields related to 3D perception, SLAM, visual odometry, machine learning for perception, safe CV, robust outdoor sensing approaches and more. You will work on challenging problems and develop state-of-the-art research, applying these techniques to real-world robotic systems that perform useful work. Current projects leverage semantic segmentation, SLAM on embedded processors, physics-based vision simulation, and multi-camera (and multi-modal) vision for detection, tracking, and navigation. You will help our team bring both autonomous field robotics and augmented reality applications to fruition.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Developing computer vision algorithms for real world applications.
- Prototyping in scripting languages.
- Transition applications to deployment with production quality CPU/GPU/FPGA code.
- Design, develop, document, test, troubleshoot, and maintain software applications and integrated systems.
- Interacting with sponsors for planning, application support, and reporting purposes.
- Surveying literature and implementing state-of-the-art techniques to take on challenging problems.
- Following best practices for team software development (peer reviews of designs and code, unit and system testing, version control, bug tracking, integrated documentation).
- Developing, documenting, and directing software system testing, troubleshooting, and verification procedures.
- Reporting complex technical detail to specialists and non-specialists.
- Planning and managing the work of other engineers to meet project goals
- M.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or equivalent experience (PhD is a bonus).
- 3-5 years combined graduate academic and professional software development experience
- Experience with practical applications of image processing/computer vision algorithms.
- Strong C or C++ skills.
- Experience with scripting languages for quick prototyping of computer vision applications (Python or Matlab preferred).
- Linux development experience.
- Knowledge of basic software engineering principles.
- Technical communication skills
- Strong background in at least one of
- 3D and projective geometry
- Deep learning/machine learning for computer vision
- Practical applications of traditional computer vision/image processing
We especially want to hear from you if you have experience or qualifications in ANY of the following areas:
- CUDA programming
- Visual/inertial odometry, mapping, or SLAM
- Sensor calibration software
- Robot navigation
- Object tracking
- Embedded systems or real time application development
- Developing sensor drivers
- Libraries such as OpenCV, PCL, ROS, Boost, Eigen
- Intel's IPP or SIMD (Neon, SSE) instruction development
You will have an impact in shaping the robotics revolution, collaborate with and learn from experts, and build your career in a very fast-growing field. As part of our team, you will develop solutions to solve industrial and government challenges, deploy your technology in real-world situations, work side-by-side with elite robotics experts, and develop a variety of cutting-edge technologies.
Have an Impact!
- Remove waste from farming = more food (link)
- Make industrial processes environmentally friendly (link)
- Make hazardous jobs safer (link)
- Improve efficiency in industry & manufacturing (link)
- Accelerate screening of pharmaceuticals (link)
Take Control of Your Career!
- Select the career pathway that interests you
- Influence the direction of projects
- Supportive of a non-standard schedule
- Maintain work/life balance
- Switch between part-time and full-time as life demands
NREC is at the center of the robotics ecosystem in Pittsburgh, PA. With over 100 robotics companies, Pittsburgh has become the robotics capital of the world. Geek Wire calls it Robotics Row; others call it Roboburgh. Join the leader in the most exciting time in robotics!
Join the best robotics R&D group
Join our talented team at NREC, an operating unit within the world-renowned Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University. NREC has 25+ years of experience and is globally renowned for developing and deploying robots into many applications across multiple sectors, such as agriculture, mining, defense, energy, and manufacturing. We strive to provide solutions for real world challenges where automation and robots have greater impact on productivity and improve the safety and comfort of the labor force. Our unique expertise places us at the forefront of unmanned ground vehicle design, autonomy, sensing and perception, machine learning, machine vision, operator assistance, 3D mapping and position estimation. With over 150 robotics professionals, we can solve challenges that no other organization can.
NREC also leads in educational outreach through its Robotics Academy, which builds robotics curricula and software for K-12 and college-level students.
At NREC, we value diversity, support it, and thrive on it for the benefits of our organization, our employees and our community. Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Those granted an exemption must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. The most up-to-date information on CMU's COVID-19 mitigation requirements can be found here: Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus.
Engineering, Research and Project Scientists
Staff - Regular
Full Time/Part time
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance