Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Designs, develops, tests, and maintains applications or systems programs. Typically works on more diverse and complex programming assignments that require advanced knowledge of programming and system capabilities. Evaluates user requests to determine feasibility, cost and time requirements, and compatibility with existing systems and capabilities. Develops and maintains technical documentation. May perform related technical support for the department or college.
The National Robotics Engineering Center (NREC) at Carnegie Mellon University is looking for a Software Team Lead to lead a team of engineers developing software for robotic applications. We are people with a desire to make robust software using agile development processes. The Software Team Lead will join and lead a team of engineers as they design, develop, test, and deploy software to robotic systems.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Coordinate with the Project Manager and team to develop schedule and resource allocation.
- Developing and maintaining software project plans.
- Facilitating agile planning and retrospectives.
- Helping the team follow standards and procedures for the project.
- Proactively preventing issues from occurring by helping the team identify possible risks.
- Fostering a good team atmosphere for constructive feedback.
- Tracking progress of tasks daily and resolving blockers, escalating if need be.
- Ensuring that risks and issues are identified and managed closely.
- Working closely with other engineers from different disciplines on the team to overcome challenges with innovate problem solving and technical solutions.
- Collaborating with Project Management, System Engineers, and Subject Matter Experts to prioritize, design, and deliver key features to meet customer requirements.
- Collaborating with DevOps engineers to ensure the successful deployment and operation of the robotics systems.
Some travel for is expected for overseeing field testing.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, or Mathematics is required.
- 3+ years of experience developing software.
- 3+ years of experience leading a software team using agile methods.
- Demonstrated understanding and use of software engineering concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Ability to lead and collaborate cross-functionally in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Experience using a work management tool such as Jira.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent management skills, with the ability to delegate and manage multiple priorities while fostering positive relationships.
- Flexibility and adaptability to meet changing scope and resource situations.
- Strong analytical, change control, task management, time management, and risk management skills.
You will have an impact in shaping the robotics revolution, collaborate with and learn from experts, and build your career in a very fast-growing field. As part of our team, you will develop solutions to solve industrial and government challenges, deploy your technology in real-world situations, work side-by-side with elite robotics experts, and develop a variety of cutting-edge technologies.
Have an Impact!
- Remove waste from farming = more food (link)
- Make industrial processes environmentally friendly (link)
- Make hazardous jobs safer (link)
- Improve efficiency in industry & manufacturing (link)
- Accelerate screening of pharmaceuticals (link)
Take Control of Your Career!
- Select the career pathway that interests you
- Influence the direction of projects
- Supportive of a non-standard schedule
- Maintain work/life balance
- Switch between part-time and full-time as life demands
NREC is at the center of the robotics ecosystem in Pittsburgh, PA. With over 100 robotics companies, Pittsburgh has become the robotics capital of the world. Geek Wire calls it Robotics Row; others call it Roboburgh. Join the leader in the most exciting time in robotics!
Join the best robotics R&D group
Join our talented team at NREC, an operating unit within the world-renowned Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University. NREC has 25+ years of experience and is globally renowned for developing and deploying robots into many applications across multiple sectors, such as agriculture, mining, defense, energy, and manufacturing. We strive to provide solutions for real world challenges where automation and robots have greater impact on productivity and improve the safety and comfort of the labor force. Our unique expertise places us at the forefront of unmanned ground vehicle design, autonomy, sensing and perception, machine learning, machine vision, operator assistance, 3D mapping and position estimation. With over 160 robotics professionals, we can solve challenges that no other organization can.
NREC also leads in educational outreach through its Robotics Academy, which builds robotics curricula and software for K-12 and college-level students.
At NREC, we value diversity, support it, and thrive on it for the benefits of our organization, our employees and our community.
CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Those granted an exemption must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. The most up-to-date information on CMU's COVID-19 mitigation requirements can be found here: Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus.
Staff - Regular
Full Time/Part time
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance