Research Engineer/Scientist I-Simulation AI Engineer
Michigan Technological University
Internal Number: 23447RP
Department: Michigan Tech Research Institute
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Description Summary
MTRI (www.mtri.org) is seeking a highly motivated, intellectually curious, professional mathematician, computer scientist, or engineer interested in developing new tools for multi-agent AI and control. Specifically, this position involves supporting customer-driven research needs for both government and commercial sponsors. The role includes collaboration with senior engineers and scientists to research, design, and evaluate reinforcement learning strategies and algorithms for various applications related to multi-agent autonomy and games. A successful candidate will have a solid background in mathematics and experience in reinforcement learning with the desire to apply these concepts to engineering challenges. In addition, an ideal candidate would have prior experience writing scientific software to investigate the efficacy of the proposed techniques.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Develop/evaluate algorithms to support artificial intelligence and machine learning applications. 2. Contribute technical expertise to symposia, journal articles, and technical reports. 3. Prepare and deliver reports or presentations of research projects/analysis results to project sponsors as appropriate. 4. Contribute to the generation of proposals and external funding. 5. Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
6.Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
Ph.D. degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science, computer engineering, or a similar related field, and 2 years related research experience either as part of degree program or post-degree. OR MS degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science, computer engineering, or a similar related field, and 5 years related research experience post-degree.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
• Strong analytical skills and use of mathematical/scientific computing software. • Experience in one or more of the following programming languages/software: Matlab, Python, C#, C++, or equivalent. • Experience in Pytorch or equivalent. • Graduate level coursework in at least 3 of the following: linear algebra, statistics, information theory, optimization, machine learning, reinforcement learning, predictive modeling, optimal control, or estimation under uncertainty.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
• Basic knowledge of computer vision, game development, visualization, and interfaces, including Unity, Unreal, or equivalent. • Interest and/or experience in the theoretical foundations of learning algorithms. • Experience working with multidisciplinary teams to perform research, solve technical problems, and/or develop software tools. • Understanding of machine learning concepts and tools, such as neural networks, reinforcement learning, classification algorithms.
• Ability to obtain a U.S. Department of Defense security clearance, which requires United States citizenship. May not possess dual citizenship. • Excellent written/oral communication skills. • Demonstrated organizational ability and attention to detail. • Ability to take direction, but work without continuous oversight. • Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment with respect to significant matters related to job duties. • Ability to work in a collaborative research environment. • Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
• Ability to contribute to competitive grant proposals. • Ability to clearly communicate complex ideas through symposia, methods documentation, reports, and publications.
• Demonstrated success in, or potential future contributions to, working with persons from diverse backgrounds, creating a sense of belonging, and fostering a fair, objective, welcoming place to work for persons with a wide variety of personal characteristics and viewpoints. **
Language, Mathematics and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Annual Title IX Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%)
Negotiable Based on Experience
Title of Position Supervisor
Senior Research Scientist I
Internal & External
Dependent on Funding
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Our scope is international. Our approach interdisciplinary. We work at the intersections of communication, composition, literature, modern languages, philosophy, rhetoric, visual studies, linguistics, gender studies, and technical communication. Our students develop the communicative, analytic, and cultural knowledge to thrive in all aspects of their future lives.Applications from women and BIPOC scholars are highly encouraged by both the department and the institution. Michigan Tech is building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from all individuals.