Location: Arlington, Virginia
What We Do:
At the SEI CERT Cyber Risk and Resilience Directorate, we enable organizations to achieve operational resilience by performing research in emerging areas of operational risk, producing measurement and assessment tools that help organizations better understand their current risk and resilience posture, and developing and validating models, frameworks, and controls that improve organizations' risk and resilience posture. Our Insider Risk Team conducts empirical research and develops socio-technical solutions that allow organizations to reduce the impact and likelihood of insider attacks.
Are you creative, curious, energetic, collaborative, technology-focused, and hard-working? Are you interested in making a difference by bringing innovative solutions to insider risk problems to government organizations and beyond? Apply to join our team.
You will work as an associate engineer on our Insider Risk team. You will contribute to the team's research and engineering agendas by collecting data (from sources including practitioner surveys, assessments of specific organizations, court records, and incident reports) and performing analyses, developing and validating technical controls, and interpreting and summarizing research findings. You will assist with the development and delivery of training material for insider risk management program development, analysis, and measurement. You will work collaboratively on multidisciplinary teams solving difficult customer challenges in diverse environments.
- Education and Experience: BS degree in a relevant discipline with 3 years of applicable experience, or a MS degree in a relevant discipline with 1 year of applicable experience, or a PhD in a relevant discipline.
- Insider Threat Experience: Candidates must have fundamental knowledge of insider threat or its related domains. This includes knowledge related to security data collection and analysis, threat modeling, cyber threat intelligence, counterintelligence, risk management, information security, and the tools and software associated with that field.
- Technical Excellence: You have a track record of successfully contributing to projects in cybersecurity or insider threat. You are user-centered and accomplishment-focused, driving projects and the people that work on them to successful, high-impact outcomes.
- Working in a Creative, Dynamic Environment: You have experience contributing to multiple simultaneous projects and thrive in a creative and high-energy environment. You are willing to experiment with new practices and develop effective processes, practices, and infrastructure to support successful projects.
- Mentorship: You have interest in mentoring, motivating, and empowering less-experienced team members in ways that promote equity and inclusion.
- Travel: Frequent (15-35%) to various locations within the SEI and CMU community, customer sites, conferences, and offsite meetings.
- Security Clearance: The role requires the ability to obtain and maintain a United States Department of Defense security clearance.
- Project Participation and Customer Engagement (80%): You will contribute to research and engineering projects designed to advance the state of the art in insider risk management. You will represent the SEI regularly presenting our mission and our work to our stakeholders.
- Community Engagement (15%): You will engage with our communities of interest; this includes presenting our mission and work via publication and presentation. You will build and maintain relationships with the relevant research and technology communities.
- Professional Development (5%): You will continue to grow your knowledge and skills in insider risk management and stay current on emerging trends and topics relevant to the team's portfolio.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Communication: You are an outstanding communicator and can interact collaboratively and diplomatically with customers and colleagues at all levels of knowledge and experience. You grasp the big picture, direction, and goals of an effort with ability to dig into the details on problems and technical concepts. You can present complex ideas to people who may not have a deep understanding of the subject area.
- Dedication and Motivation: You can meet deadlines while multi-tasking, sometimes under pressure and with shifting priorities. You are self-motivated and can work toward a common vision with general supervision and mentoring from management.
- Creativity and Innovation: You are creative, curious, and passionate about the prospect of collaborating with world-class researchers and visionaries at Carnegie Mellon University and innovation-focused organizations.
- Knowledge and Learning: You possess broad technical interests along with a deep knowledge of a particular field. You quickly learn new procedures, techniques, and approaches. You are forward-looking and can connect research with practical challenges.
To learn more about our team's work, please visit https://www.sei.cmu.edu/our-work/insider-threat/index.cfm.
For more information about working at the SEI, please visit https://sei.cmu.edu/careers/working-at-the-sei/index.cfm
To learn about working at Carnegie Mellon University, an institution inspiring innovations that change the world, please visit https://www.cmu.edu/jobs/why-cmu/index.html
CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Staff and faculty must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. Please see Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus for details regarding the university's current COVID-19 mitigation requirements.
Staff - Regular
Full time/Part time
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance