Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Senior User Research and Testing Specialist
The National Robotics Engineering Center (NREC) is part of Carnegie Mellon's Robotics Institute that specializes in research and development of robotics systems. We are currently seeking applicants for the position of Senior User and Research and Testing Specialist. This position requires several competencies. It requires following internal tool development and supporting team synthesis as new techniques are developed; following and nurturing relationships with our customers as they develop safety and testing strategies in order to aid in the targeted design and deployment of our technology; usability testing for internal and external tools; interaction design requirement gathering; and aiding in developing a user centered iterative process for internal tools, external tools, and customer integration.
Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating with the sponsor to determine safety requirements for robotic systems
- Collaborating with the sponsor to determine usability requirements for robotic systems
- Analyzing CMU developed tools meant for sponsor use for usability
- Develop test plans to test robotic systems safety and usability
- Performing safety and usability tests on robotic systems
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- Experience working with customers in soliciting safety requirements (DoD experience preferred)
- Experience with usability testing
- Experience in development of testing processes (DoD experience preferred)
- Sponsor interaction (DoD experience preferred)
- Experience working with development team to develop software that meets the sponsors needs
- Experience in user interface development
You will have an impact in shaping the robotics revolution, collaborate with and learn from experts, and build your career in a very fast-growing field. As part of our team, you will develop solutions to solve industrial and government challenges, deploy your technology in real-world situations, work side-by-side with elite robotics experts, and develop an array of innovative technologies.
Have an Impact!
- Remove waste from farming = more food (link)
- Make industrial processes environmentally friendly (link)
- Make hazardous jobs safer (link)
- Improve efficiency in industry & manufacturing (link)
- Accelerate screening of pharmaceuticals (link)
Take Control of Your Career!
- Select the career pathway that interests you
- Influence the direction of projects
- Supportive of a non-standard schedule
- Maintain work/life balance
- Switch between part-time and full-time as life demands
NREC is at the center of the robotics ecosystem in Pittsburgh, PA. With over 100 robotics companies, Pittsburgh has become the robotics capital of the world. Geek Wire calls it Robotics Row; others call it Roboburgh. Join the leader in the most exciting time in robotics!
Join the best robotics R&D group
Join our talented team at NREC, an operating unit within the world-renowned Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University.
NREC has 25+ years of experience and is globally renowned for developing and deploying robots into many applications across multiple sectors, such as agriculture, mining, defense, energy, and manufacturing. We strive to provide solutions for real world challenges where automation and robots have greater impact on productivity and improve the safety and comfort of the labor force. Our unique expertise places us at the forefront of unmanned ground vehicle design, autonomy, sensing and perception, machine learning, machine vision, operator assistance, 3D mapping and position estimation. With over 120 robotics professionals, we can solve challenges that no other organization can.
NREC also leads in educational outreach through its Robotics Academy, which builds robotics curricula and software for K-12 and college-level students.
Opportunities people at NREC have seized:
As a member of NREC, you have the opportunity to take control of your career. People in similar roles have shaped their careers to suit their interests and their needs.
- Becoming an in-depth expert in a technical area
- Leading projects and fostering client relationships
- Receiving mentoring from senior engineers and robotics experts
- Mentoring junior engineers
- Taking courses at Carnegie Mellon
- Staying connected with academic and recreational activities at Carnegie Mellong
- Transitioned into a robotics, program management, technical lead, or software architecture roles
- Performing consulting during off time
- Outreach to K-12 and college-level students
At NREC, we value diversity, support it, and flourish with it for the benefit of our organization, our employees and our community. Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Staff and faculty must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. Please see Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus for details regarding the university's current COVID-19 mitigation requirements.
Engineering, Research and Project Scientists
Staff - Regular
Full Time/Part time
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance