To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Description Summary
The Vice President for Research leads Michigan Tech’s research, discovery, and creative portfolio. Reporting to the President and serving as a member of the President’s Council, the Vice President for Research oversees annual research expenditures of more than $100 million and represents Michigan Tech as a top research university to both internal and external audiences. The Vice President for Research works collaboratively within a shared governance framework to set priorities for institutional growth and investment in research and scholarship. The incumbent also leads strategic initiatives that establish and enhance excellence across a broad spectrum of research activities.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a record of excellence in pursuing, receiving and managing competitive large-scale funded research projects; has a visionary approach to interdisciplinary research; possesses the expertise and insight regarding the future direction of sponsored research, nationally and globally; and has superior leadership and management skills. While maintaining a sharp focus on sponsored research growth, the Vice President for Research collaborates with the President , Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and academic deans to foster research, scholarship, and creative activity across the campus, as well as strengthening Michigan Tech’s ties with federal, state, foundation, industry funding sources, and other research universities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
● Serve as an advocate for research and scholarship including championing continued and new investments in physical, digital, and human research capital; ● Support existing research priorities and infrastructure while also identifying new opportunities for investment and growth; ● Foster development of interdisciplinary research initiatives; ● Oversee the university’s multiple research centers and institutes, encompassing a wide range of disciplines and locations; ● Interact, on behalf of institutional and faculty interests, with industry, state, federal, and international research partners; ● Advance translational research to drive economic development; ● Provide strategic leadership and support of a research and scholarship ecosystem that furthers institutional goals; ● Through policy and practice, create and maintain a positive, supportive, and inclusive organizational culture related to research and scholarship.
● Earned doctorate and a scholarly record consistent with appointment as full Professor at Michigan Tech.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
● Experience and success in managing a complex organization including people, resources, and operating budgets. ● Demonstrated ability to lead change through effective communication, collaboration with stakeholders, vision, creativity, flexibility, and decisiveness. ● Successful track record of competitive funding from federal agencies, non-profit agencies, and/or industrial entities. ● Ability to obtain a U.S. Department of Defense security clearance, which requires United States citizenship with no dual citizenship status. ● Demonstrated commitment to promoting a culture of safety as a professional value and an essential component of day-to-day activities.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
● Evidence of engagement in education and training opportunities relevant to the national landscape related to university research. ● An exemplary record of research and experience in fostering collaborative, interdisciplinary research. ● Experience leading or contributing to innovative and entrepreneurial activities in research. ● Experience working with university research centers and institutes. ● Experience working with issues relating to export control. ● Proven leadership ability and collaborative management skills in a shared governance environment.
● Ability to articulate a clear vision for the future of research and sponsored programs at Michigan Tech. ● Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, oral/written communication, and presentation skills. ● Demonstrated fiscal responsibility and the ability to manage budgets. ● Demonstrated success in building partnerships among diverse stakeholder groups, both within and external to an organization.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
● Demonstrated success supervising staff at multiple levels to promote a positive and effective work environment. ● Demonstrated ability to articulate how the rise in artificial intelligence will impact university research administration and university research. ● Demonstrated knowledge of issues relating to intellectual property and with the commercialization of intellectual property ● Demonstrated ability to create a sense of belonging and foster a fair, objective, and welcoming environment for persons with a wide variety of personal characteristics, diverse backgrounds, and viewpoints. ● Demonstrated success in leading research program growth, including increased funding, scholarship, and research productivity. ● Demonstrated success in leading broad institutional change, such as through effective implementation of a strategic plan.
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Annual Title IX Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%)
Negotiable, Based on Experience
Title of Position Supervisor
Internal & External
Dependent on Funding
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Our scope is international. Our approach interdisciplinary. We work at the intersections of communication, composition, literature, modern languages, philosophy, rhetoric, visual studies, linguistics, gender studies, and technical communication. Our students develop the communicative, analytic, and cultural knowledge to thrive in all aspects of their future lives.Applications from women and BIPOC scholars are highly encouraged by both the department and the institution. Michigan Tech is building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from all individuals.