Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Designs, develops, tests and maintains applications or systems programs. Gathers and provides input on functional specifications and requirements. Supports business user questions/issues regarding applications and/or systems issues and availability. Develops and maintains technical documentation. May perform other related technical support for the department or college.
The National Robotics Engineering Center (NREC) at Carnegie Mellon University is seeking applicants for the position of Front-end Developer for existing and new projects. In this position, you will work on a variety of web-based user interfaces for robotic systems. You'll have an opportunity to collaborate on an internal team and with sponsoring partners to support the work through all lifecycle stages.
Our team has members with diverse backgrounds both in robotics and other industries aligned to make robust software and firmware that is useful in the world. Projects you may support range from industrial machine operator assist systems to agricultural productivity tools and beyond to other automation, autonomy, or safety systems. Your day-to-day work will include developing user interfaces for internal and external usage centered around robotic systems.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Designing custom human-computer user interfaces for robotics systems.
- Prototyping interface options and evaluating end-user performance.
- Integrating with a central shared database for live display of system state.
- Following best practices for team software development (peer reviews of designs and code, unit and system testing, version control, bug tracking, integrated documentation)
- Adapting and integrating proprietary and open-source software packages and APIs.
- Testing user interface with simulated and in-field robotic systems.
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 1-3+ years combined graduate academic and professional software development experience.
- Proficient in web markup, including HTML5, CSS3.
- Good understanding of asynchronous request handling, partial page updates, and AJAX.
- Basic knowledge of image authoring tools, to be able to perform small adjustments on an image. Familiarity with tools such as Gimp or Photoshop is a plus.
- Proficient in code versioning tools, such as Git.
- Ability to participate in a cross-functional team.
- Technical communication skills.
We especially want to hear from you if you have experience or qualifications in ANY of the following areas:
- UI/UX experience.
- Android development.
- QT development.
- Experience developing interfaces for embedded or cyber-physical systems.
- Graphic Design.
- Python development.
- Backend development.
- Data Visualization.
You will have an impact in shaping the robotics revolution, collaborate with and learn from experts, and build your career in a very fast-growing field. As part of our team, you will develop solutions to solve industrial and government challenges, deploy your technology in real-world situations, work side-by-side with robotics experts, and develop a variety of cutting-edge technologies.
Have an Impact!
- Remove waste from farming = more food (link)
- Make industrial processes environmentally friendly (link)
- Make hazardous jobs safer (link)
- Improve efficiency in industry & manufacturing (link)
- Accelerate screening of pharmaceuticals (link)
Take Control of Your Career!
- Select the career pathway that interests you
- Influence the direction of projects
- Supportive of a non-standard schedule
- Maintain work/life balance
- Switch between part-time and full-time as life demands
NREC is at the center of the robotics ecosystem in Pittsburgh, PA. With over 100 robotics companies, Pittsburgh has become the robotics capital of the world. Geek Wire calls it Robotics Row; others call it Roboburgh. Join the leader in the most exciting time in robotics!
Join the best robotics R&D group
Join our talented team at NREC, an operating unit within the world-renowned Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University.
NREC has 25+ years of experience and is globally renowned for developing and deploying robots into many applications across multiple sectors, such as agriculture, mining, defense, energy, and manufacturing. We strive to provide solutions for real world challenges where automation and robots have greater impact on productivity and improve the safety and comfort of the labor force. Our unique expertise places us at the forefront of unmanned ground vehicle design, autonomy, sensing and perception, machine learning, machine vision, operator assistance, 3D mapping and position estimation. With over 160 robotics professionals, we can solve challenges that no other organization can.
NREC also leads in educational outreach through its Robotics Academy, which builds robotics curricula and software for K-12 and college-level students.
Opportunities people at NREC have seized:
As a member of NREC, you have the opportunity to take control of your career. People in similar roles have shaped their careers to suit their interests and their needs.
- Becoming an in-depth expert in a technical area
- Leading projects and fostering client relationships
- Receiving mentoring from senior engineers and robotics experts
- Mentoring junior engineers
- Taking courses at Carnegie Mellon
- Staying connected with academic and recreational activities at Carnegie Mellon
- Transitioned into a robotics, program management, technical lead, or software architecture roles
- Performing consulting during off time
- Outreach to K-12 and college-level students
At NREC, we value diversity, support it, and thrive on it for the benefits of our organization, our employees and our community. Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Staff and faculty must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. Please see Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus for details regarding the university's current COVID-19 mitigation requirements.
Staff - Regular
Full Time/Part time
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance